Golf & Life skills experience Programs
The First Tee uses golf to teach youth life lessons and leadership skills. Sessions include a fun, group setting for youth ages 5 through 18 regardless of background or previous experience. Teaming up with experts in positive youth development, The First Tee helps local youth become good golfers and even better people.
A Youth Program Unlike Any Other
Through year round programs, spring, summer, and fall; The First Tee emphasizes Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy, and judgment paving the way for more complex life skills inherent to the game and life itself. Through our programs, your kids and teens will learn life skills like:
- Making proper introductions
- Managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
Development of golf skills continues through the delivery of each of The First Tee Nine Golf Fundamentals and the application of the Nine Healthy Habits. For learning and skill development to be effective at each level of the Life Skills Experience, parents, coaches, and youth must allow sufficient time to ensure concepts are experienced, understood, explored and can be applied in different situations.
Advancing through the Program
From age 5 through 18, youth progress through different levels by demonstrating The First Tee Nine Core Values, life and golf skills as well as passing an assessment. All participants regardless of age start at the PLAYer level and progress at their own pace to meet the minimum requirements. The TARGET level is an optional introductory program for ages 5 through 6. The pinnacle of The First Tee is completing Ace. The levels in bold are currently being offered by our chapter.
- TARGET (required age 5-6) – Introduction to the game of golf and target orientation. The goal is for players to make contact during their swing, hitting the ball in the direction of the target demonstrated through various activities. Primarily, SNAG or Junior friendly equipment is used with the seamless integration of real golf clubs.
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – is designed to expose participants of all ages and ability levels to the game of golf and its inherent values through purposeful games and golf learning activities. A special emphasis is put on learning The First Tee Code of Conduct, core values, golf skills and healthy habits as well as appreciating the etiquette and rules of the game of golf.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9 and PLAYer Certified) – Focus is on interpersonal communication, self-management skills, and healthy habits on and off the course while improving upon and expanding golf skills, etiquette, and rules. Golf skills addressed emphasize purposeful practice and introductory strategic play.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11 and Par Certified) – Emphasis on setting goals and making them a reality while advancing strategic on course play, building practice routines, and an introductory to shaping ball flight.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age 13 and Birdie Certified) – Learn resilience, conflict resolution, and future planning. The focus is on group and community interaction provided with advanced instruction and mastery-driven practice.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade and Eagle Certified) – Put it all together and hone in on setting goals, career education, and giving back to the community. You are a golfer for life.
Our policy is to turn no child or family away due to financial constraints or hardships. Financial assistance opportunities are available with minimum requirements met.
The Power of Relationships
“I consider my coaches at The First Tee to be some of the most important mentors I had growing up.” –alumnus The First Tee coaches are trained to create positive relationships that inspire youth to discover their individual potential. Our programs help young people build confidence, develop respect and appreciate the value of giving back to our community all while learning the lifelong sport of golf.